Skip to main content

Tick bite story

This is Elizabeth's story about the evils of ticks.

Being a member of the Over-Fifty set, it's not every day that I experience something completely new.

The other day I found a tick firmly attached to my back. I had never before been bitten by a tick. Found one on my clothes once, plucked more than I care to count off our basset hound (you can really tell when the Frontline wears off), but never been bitten myself.

How did I get the tick? Our best guess is that I picked it up from our dog while grooming her. I had had my arms wrapped around her while clipping her toenails and the little bugger must have wandered onto me. We had been walking in the local park that morning, and being a good basset hound, she had her nose buried in many little rodent runs in the tall grass. She probably picked it up there. And I picked it up from her.

So what DOES it feel like to be bitten by a tick? Well, it didn't really hurt. Within a short time after grooming the dog, I started to notice a slight, dull itch and even scratched it a little. It wasn't bad so I ignored it and continued with my work. The odd feeling continued and several hours later it had grown more uncomfortable. The sensation was that of something pulling on your skin, definitely not as sharp as a pinch. Craning my neck to see, I saw a black dot where the annoying feeling was. My first thought was that I had a mole but then I got a mirror to check it better and, to my horror, I saw LEGS! Eeeek!

Presenting a pair of tweezers to my husband, I requested his immediate assistance in tick removal. This little pest had firmly embedded its mouthparts into my back, so he had to pull quite hard. The tick was not ready to leave as it had not yet started feeding (it's body had not started inflating with blood). Trying to pull the tick out, my husband eventually pulled the tick apart leaving the mouthparts embedded.

He cleaned the wound, dabbed on some antibiotic lotion and covered it with a band-aid. For several days afterward, the area around the wound was tender, but it quickly diminished and mostly healed except for a little red spot within a week. The first couple of days we kept an eye on the bite, cleaning it with antiseptic and covering it with antibiotic cream and a band-aid. At first, there was a very round white “bull's eye” around the red wound, with redness around the white spot. We wanted to make sure it didn't develop into the red-rash bull's eye symptom of Lyme disease. It's possible that the marks and the tenderness were actually caused by the trauma of the removal process and not the bite itself, it's hard to say for sure.

Whatever the case, I healed with the tick's mouthparts still embedded in my skin, and lived to tell the tale. 

__________

Comments

victory said…
Are the mouthparts still embedded in your skin? I sure hope not. Allthough it would make an odd little souvenere of the expierence. I had a tick on my back once too. I kept rubbing my fingers against it, thinking it was a mole. It would itch from time to time. I had once attempted to pull it off. It had moved a bit and i got scared and told my mom. She saw it and i kept asking what she saw. She knew i was terrified of bugs so she was smart and refused to tell me. When my mom would pull on it, there was an odd sensation of my skin being pulled back. It popped off finally. She had alot of expierence from pulling ticks of dogs, so she knew to pull the head off so the mouthparts would come out. After it came off, i saw it. A shrudder rippled through me and i, for some time, ran around screaming and rubbing the spot where the tick had been. My mother told me, "That's why i didn't tell you. I knew you would react like this." She was right not to tell me. I would not be able to stay still. Even now,i don't ,like to think about it.

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny, Yellow, Biting Bugs

a thrips next to a leaf vein Have you every felt a sharp pinch while outside during summer only to find a tiny, yellow, sliver-like bug when you investigate the bite? These bites are from a tiny insect called a thrips (the name is always plural; one thrips, many thrips). Thrips normally feed on plants with very sharp, knife-like mouthparts. If they happen to land on us they can bite causing a sharp, stabbing pain. The bites are annoying but completely harmless and are more common in mid- to late summer. Unfortunately, insect repellents don't work against thrips. Continue reading to discover ways to avoid thrips bites at our 'Bugs website . Thrips can be important plant pests where they damage leaves and in some cases even infect plants with a virus. Greenhouse growers in particular often treat their crops with insecticide to prevent thrips damage. drawing showing feathery wings

What are these BIG black ants in my house?

carpenter ant In early spring or late winter people often encounter these large black ants in homes. These big ants are different than the more common small, brown "nuisance ants" that plague kitchens. The big ants are called carpenter ants ( Camponotus spp .) and unlike their smaller cousins, nest above ground in cavities. Nest building and cavity expansion by these large, powerful ants can cause damage if nests occur in our homes. Most of the ants you find in homes are small, less than 1/4", and brown. There are several species of small brown ants that can nest in our home's walls or nearby soil and enter homes in search of food and water (see House Ants for identification and control). Nuisance ants are just that, a nuisance. They won't damage your home and pose no health threat of any kind.  There's another ant, however, that occasionally is found in homes that is much bigger (1/4"-5/8"), darker in color, nests in the walls, floors and c

Kudzu Bug - A Small, Brown, "Lady Bug" That Invades Homes and Gardens

Kudzu bugs clustered on wisteria. If you live in the south-eastern US you may have noticed a new insect this summer and fall (see photo): the insect is called the kudzu bug ( Megacopta cribraria ) and is characterized by - small, brownish/green in color shaped sort-of like a ladybug not seen prior to about 2 years ago invades homes in the fall congregates on garden plants, and especially, kudzu vine (For those that don't live in the southern US, kudzu is a highly invasive weedy vine, " the vine that ate the south !", that grows everywhere, on everything.) a new and important pest of soybean This true bug (Hemiptera)  resembles a ladybug (a cocinellid beetle ) in size and shape, but not color (see this page for a picture of a real ladybug/lady beetle). Also, you don't generally find ladybugs clustered together like you see in the photo. This a new "lady bug" has some unpleasant characteristics. (1) Feeds on and weakens garden plants as well a